Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Extreme Makeover: Scrapbook Style - Mr. President

Last week I took part in another Friday Night Challenge over at Scraps of Color. Most of the time we do cards, however this particular Friday night included a 45-minute layout challenge. You got it...45 minutes to do a layout! Me...the slowest scrapper in the land... the scrapper who takes hours and sometimes days to design and create a two-page layout. Not only were we to do the layout it 45 minutes, but we also had to follow certain parameters: Create a two-page 24x12 LO of President Obama.  Your color scheme is Red, Black, ONE PAPER MUST BE PATTERNED and a color of your choice as an accent. Your design must use a "star". It must have a minimum of 4 photos. One photo must include show "Black Love."  There must be bling. There must be the words "OBAMA" and "44." There must be a space for journaling. Let me repeat...this had to be done in 45 minutes. I really didn't think I could do it, but I was determined to try. Thankfully we had been told earlier in the week that we needed to have several Obama photos so in that regard I was prepared.

I grabbed one of my trusty sketches books, "Page Patterns...Just Plain Simplicity," found a simple sketch that contained four photos and got to work. Pulled out some cardstock and found some OLD 4th of July patterned paper that contained stars and the word FREEDOM at the bottom (I cut that off)! In the middle of working my ATG ran out of adhesive...grrrrrrrrrrrr....!!! So I had to make do with some Zots and other things in the meantime. I didn't quite make the 45 minutes; I think it took me between 50 and 55 minutes and I wasn't quite thrilled with the layout that resulted. But I posted it to the gallery anyway.


Two days later, I decided to change up some things. I found some old chipboard letters (with a design on them) and numbers and covered them with glitter using the technique you can find here. Since I used red glitter I changed the color of the background they were on from the red patterned paper to blue. I added some more rhinestone flourishes (stay tuned for my next post about a great way to adhere them without having them tangle) using them to cover some of the punching mistakes on the blue frame. I added a star made from the red patterned paper and a couple of blue stars with some added bling. Finally, I added some typed journaling.  I tried to write on the American Crafts transparent journaling box but none of the pens I had would write well on it, so I ended up printing it on cardstock and adhering it over the journaling box. What you see below is the result.


So, today's lessons are these:
  1. If you aren't pleased with a layout that you did, let it sit and "marinate" for a bit, and then come back to it. Taking a break from it and coming back to it with fresh eyes, may help you see where you can add some improvements.
  2. If nothing about the layout pleases you, don't be afraid to go back to the drawing board and start over.
  3. This one bears repeating yet again...try sketches!
  4. Find a way to fix or cover little "boo boos." You really don't have to start over or re-cut something just because it has a flaw in it.
  5. Setting a time limit for creating a layout will force you to think quickly and you may be surprised by the results.
Hope you enjoyed my musings for today. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment