Sunday, September 12, 2010

Celebrate You

So I finally decided to try another challenge over at Scraps of Color. I decided that it was simple enough that I could get it done in one evening (remember...I am a very slowwww crafter). The challenge was to use kraft cardstock, eight squares of patterned paper, a verse/sentiment (stamped or rub-on), and a piece of ribbon (didn't specify how much). Easy enough, right? When I sat down to work, I actually had a totally different design in mind; one that came to me while I was on the freeway yesterday and which I sketched out on a piece of scratch paper in the parking lot at JoAnn's. When I got home and tried to make it work, I couldn' this is what I resorted to. For some reason in the scan, the colors don't look very true (or like they even go together) even though all of the paper came from one paper pack. I assure you that the colors are much more vibrant than what you see.

I had something totally different in mind with the ribbon that would have used much more of it, but the ribbon that I had in the right color was too wide and would have tampered with the balance of the card. So what I learned is that starting with a sketch or idea in mind is great, but it's okay to switch up in the middle of creating. The results just might surprise you. Oh yes...and that I also need to add more ribbon to my ribbon stash! TFL.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

52 Card Pick-Up - The Last of My Favorite Techniques we are...the last of my favorites out of the 52 cards created during this class.

Used a strip of patterned paper to create a pleated border. Finished the look of with a white torn ruffle on the bottom and a strip of coordinating paper on the top. Buttons finished off the look. Yes, that little cool kid belongs to me. Ahhhh.....the baby days.....

Not too long ago, I saw a card that someone did using the following technique and wanted to learn how to do it. So it goes without saying that when Technique #52 arrived and this was it, I was thrilled! A series of "v's" were cut into two-sided patterned paper and then every other "v" was folded back. I decided rather than turn the card into a mini-layout, I would put both attempts on one card with notes about how to make it come out more uniform. This technique is very simple yet it makes a great impact.

Would you believe that the next card began as a piece of white cardstock? I love, love, love how this came out. Another easy peasy, lemon squeezy (in the words of my 7th graders) technique. A makeup sponge was used to sponge a coating of dye ink on the cardstock. Then I used my fingers to flick droplets of water onto the inked cardstock. Like I said, easy! I added the rubber stamp and journaling just so the card wouldn't be naked.

And finally.....placed a photo with high contrast into a Word document, converted it to black and white, and then adjusted the contrast to create this look. When I emailed this to my dear aunty, she loved it so much she asked me to make her 25 note cards using the same picture.

So there you have it. My favorites out of the 52 Card Technique class. If you are intrigued by this class, taught by Tena Sprenger, I encourage you to keep a look out for it at Big Picture Scrapbooking. Because it is one of their longer workshops, it probably won't return until sometime next year, although I hear tell she might be doing a sequel. If she does, I'm in!

If you've made it this far, I thank you so much for following my 52 Card journey. It is my hope that this will not be my last post for a long time. Although work and life sometimes get in the way, it is my goal to continue to carve out time each week to be creative and continue to share the things I learn along the way. TFL!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

52 Card Pick Up - Even More Techniques

I'm back with a few more techniques to show you....

If you've been following my blog since I began this class, then you know that one of the earlier techniques called for the use of a Clorox Bleach pen! Well, our teacher had us pull it out again to alter photos. I attempted this technique twice with two different photos. I was too lazy to reprint the first one. The bleach pen was used to write on the darker area of the photo, and then removed with a damp paper towel. On my first attempt, things were going fine but then the pen started bubbling and coming out watery. (I probably should have re-shaken it a few times.) So I pulled out my trusty glaze pen and added the blue writing to the bleached out portion.

Here is my second attempt with the bleach pen. Almost made it again, but then the pen started coming out watery again. I know many would question using bleach on photos, as well as whether its acid-free and will affect the picture in years to come.   While I think it is a cool way to journal on photos, I'm not sure that I'd be brave enough to use this technique on a project that's going into an album.

This textured transparency frame was created by using Staz-on ink and embossing powder. I applied the ink (I used black) directly from the pad to the transparency. It was immediately covered with embossing powder (I decided to be brave and try blue) and then heated with an embossing gun. A window was then cut out so that the frame would fit around the picture.

And lastly...a photo mosaic. I was supposed to cut the photo into five equal vertical strips, and then cut each strip into five equal pieces. My photo was too small (I think it was 3 x 5) and I didn't want the pieces to come out too small. So I cut three horizontally instead of five. I really like this technique and have seen layouts where the results are stunning. I think though that this is best used for landscape or scenery shots. Not too sure how it would look with lots of people in the photo.

Thanks for checking out more cool techniques. Stay tuned...I think I'm going to put together one more techniques post!