Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Anything Goes - Inks and Such Challenge #19


One of my sorority sisters celebrated her 50th birthday this evening and I needed a card. I haven’t colored in a while and so got it in my head that I would do an image for the card that I was making. *All I can say about THAT is that my coloring needs a lot of WORK! I wasn’t 100% pleased with the way it came out, but I didn’t hate it either. Sadly, when you take pics of or scan your work, all the imperfections show up. But I’m gonna keep it movin’!*

Anyway, I decided to use a Robert Jackson image *this one is called Girlfriend* and kind of scraplift a card I had seen on Okie's blog a long time ago.  For the first time ever, I chose my paper BEFORE coloring my image. I must say, that made matching things up much easier. Usually I do the image first, and then try to find paper to match. *For someone like me who is challenged when it comes to choosing paper and matching different patterns and whatnot, that’s just asking for trouble!* Knowing what paper I was going to use made it very easy to go to my Copic Hand Color Chart and choose the right colors.

BTW...This is going to be my first submission ever over at Jackson Digital Expressions for the Anything Goes - Inks and Such Challenge #19!

I had drawn little gold stars in the background, but didn’t like those. My choice was to recolor the image *no time to do that*, cut around the image *wasn’t gonna do that either*, or fix it somehow. I chose option number three and added bling to the stars. Not perfect, but not horrible either.

I used Spellbinders Mega Oval Dies to cut out and emboss my image and the mat behind it. I didn’t realize until now how much I DON’T like the way that particular set of dies nests together. There’s too much space between sizes. So when I put the image in white on top of the mat in green, there was too much space in between and I didn’t like it. I needed something to fill in the space but wasn’t sure what. Then it hit me…fiber! I traced around the image with a pencil, and then using my trusty ATG applied adhesive just inside the line. I placed the fiber on the sticky line, making an oval with it. I had just enough with about an inch left over. And this is the result…

Robert Jackson image, Copics, patterned paper from SEI - Bright Blossom stack, and fiber and scraps from my stash.

Not too bad and the birthday girl loved it! That’s all that matters!

And so, the lesson today is…
  1. Before coloring an image to use on a project, decide on what other papers you will be using first. That will make matching everything up so much easier.
  2.  If you put a project together, and something seems to be missing or not quite right, think about what you have in your stash that will help you to complete a project you will be happy with. You just might be surprised at how it turns out!

Thanks for lookin’!
Karen aka WrinkleFreeDiva

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the fabric and your DP :) Thanks for your support of Jackson's Digital Expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Loving how you used the fibers. Thanks for joining us at Jackson's Digital Expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen this is gorgeous! Everything about the card is awesome from the paper, the fiber to the image...your coloring is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card you did a great job tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Karen!! Just beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen this is really lovely. I always pick my paper first. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, you did a great job on thism I love all of the problem solving techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how this turned out! Several things...I agree too much space between the ovals, awesome idea to add the fibers (I have a box full I haven't touched in yrs!), Love the bling on top of the gold it looks like a mini burst! Coloring is beautiful and I always do it the hard way too by coloring then choosing paper! Takes me forever! Glad you joined us and hope you join us for your 2nd challenge next week!

    Kathi
    DT Member
    Jackson's Digital Expressions

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips and I love it too! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen, your card turned out beautiful and I'm sure your friend was thrilled to receive it. Don't worry about your coloring...it is just fine. Can't wait to see what else you have stored up for us in the weeks to come. Thank you for playing with us at JDE's Anything Goes-Strut Your Stuff Challenge.
    hugsz-Lesia
    www.memascrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card, the paper, the colouring, the layout... everything is on point! Thank you for sharing your card with us at JDE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that's wonderful things to learn :D It's the hardest... and even if you do know... you still mess up lol. That's part of the joy of crafting "experimenting" You did a fabulous 1st card to our challenge!

    Thanks for joining us as Jackson’s Digital Expressions this week. Hope to see you again next week. DT Crafting Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful, I love how you pulled the paper scheme digi and embellishment together..great tips

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my she is really strolling into greatness. Love this card and the coloring is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete